Miniaturized sandwiches don’t usually float my boat, or submarine, as they’re almost always not as good as the full-sized versions, but these mini Philly cheesesteaks really captured everything I love about the classic.
Original recipe makes 48 mini Philly cheesesteaks
2 tablespoons butter, or as needed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or as needed
1 cup cold milk
2 ounces shredded provolone cheese, or more to taste
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch cayenne pepper
salt to taste
1 (12 ounce) skirt steak
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, or as needed
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup diced onion
1/3 cup diced sweet peppers
2 baguettes, or as needed, cut into 48 1/2-inch thick slices
1/4 cup shredded provolone cheese, or as needed
1 hr 20 mins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk flour into hot butter and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is pale and flour taste cooks off, about 1 minute. Pour milk into flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is hot and thickened, 3 to 6 minutes. Add 2 ounces provolone cheese, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and salt; stir until cheese is completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Season steak all over with salt and ground black pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steak in hot oil, turning occasionally, until meat is slightly firm and pink on the inside, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate.
- Return skillet to heat and pour water into the skillet; bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Pour liquid from the skillet over steak. Cool steak to room temperature; dice meat and place meat and accumulated juices from the plate into a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; saute onion and peppers in hot oil until softened and slightly translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir peppers and onions mixture into diced meat; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread bread slices out on prepared baking sheets and drizzle remaining olive oil over the top. Turn slices over so that the oiled-side is facing down. Spread a thick layer of cheese mixture onto each slice. Spoon meat mixture over cheese. Sprinkle provolone cheese over the top of each slice.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned and cheese is melted, 12 to 15 minutes.
Calories: 280 kcal
Carbohydrates: 34.8 g
Cholesterol: 18 mg
Fat: 9.9 g
Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 12.9 g
Sodium: 489 mg