I make this as yearly tradition at holiday time in my home. I also make a batch of this to send to my brother for his care package that I send him when he is deployed. I will warn you, it is very spicy and addictive. There should be a 12 step recovery program for this stuff.
Original recipe makes 48 servings
1 (14 ounce) package bite-size corn square cereal (such as Corn Chex®)
1 (14 ounce) package crispy rice cereal squares (such as Rice Chex ®)
1 (14 ounce) package bite-size wheat square cereal (such as Wheat Chex®)
1 (8.9 ounce) box toasted oat cereal rings (such as Cheerios®)
3 cups salted mixed nuts
1 (15 ounce) package mini pretzel twists
2 (6 ounce) packages goldfish crackers
1 (12 ounce) package sesame snack sticks
1 cup warm (liquid) bacon drippings
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons monosodium glutamate (MSG)
2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons seasoned salt
4 teaspoons chili powder
4 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
3 hrs 30 mins
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Gently mix corn, rice, and wheat squares, oat rings, mixed nuts, mini pretzels, goldfish crackers, and sesame snacks in two 13×24-inch aluminum roasting pans, taking care not to break cereal.
- Stir bacon drippings, unsalted butter, Worcestershire sauce, MSG, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, seasoned salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and hot pepper sauce together in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high in microwave for 3 or 4 30-second intervals, stirring each time, until mixture is warm, liquid, and fully combined.
- Stir seasoning sauce continuously as you pour half over the cereal mixture in each pan. Gently stir the snack mix and seasonings with a slotted spoon until thoroughly coated; do not crush cereal.
- Bake in the preheated oven until sauce is completely absorbed and the snack mix is crisp, about 2 hours; stir gently every 15 minutes. Cool completely and store in airtight containers. The snack mix stores well in freezer in airtight freezer bags, if it makes it that long.
Calories: 355 kcal
Carbohydrates: 42.3 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Fat: 18.6 g
Fiber: 3.5 g
Protein: 6.4 g
Sodium: 790 mg