Two types of bread, ham and salami are layered with a mustard butter and frosted with cream cheese, curry powder and almonds to create a fun, delicious "cake" that is cut up into little pieces and served cold. The curry powder may be omitted.
Original recipe makes 24 servings
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 tablespoons prepared mustard
16 slices rye bread
1/2 pound boiled ham, thinly sliced
16 slices white bread
1/2 pound cooked ham, thinly sliced
1/2 pound salami, thinly sliced
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
4 1/2 ounces toasted almonds
5 hrs 20 mins
5 hrs 20 mins
- In a small bowl, mix the butter and mustard.
- Remove crusts from the bread slices. On a small cookie sheet, arrange 4 rye slices to form a square. Spread slices with a layer of mustard butter. Top with 4 slices of boiled ham. Top the boiled ham with four slices of white bread arranged in a square. Spread with mustard butter. Top with 4 slices of cooked ham. Top the cooked ham with four slices of rye bread arranged in a square. Spread with mustard butter. Top with 4 slices of salami. Repeat until 8 alternating layers have been created. Trim overhanging meat.
- Place a small cookie sheet on top of the layers. Weigh down the cookie sheet with a bowl so as to lightly flatten the layers into a thinner, square cake. Continue flattening and refrigerate a minimum of 5 hours.
- Frost the chilled cake on all sides with cream cheese and curry powder. Decorate with almonds. Refrigerate until serving.
- To serve, cut into quarters, then six cubes per quarter resulting in 24 pieces.
Calories: 334 kcal
Carbohydrates: 20.5 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Fat: 23.7 g
Fiber: 2.3 g
Protein: 10.7 g
Sodium: 810 mg