This is a Dutch almond buttercake bar cookie that keeps well.
Original recipe makes 2 dozen
1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease a 9 x 12 inch jelly roll pan . You can also use a 9 x13 inch rectangular baking pan.
- Cream together the brown sugar and the butter or margarine. Add the almond extract.
- Sift and add flour to the creamed sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Separate the egg, and add the egg yolk to the dough. Mix again.
- Press into the greased sponge roll tin, and glaze with the lightly-beaten egg white. Sprinkle with flaked or slivered almonds.
- Bake approx 20 minutes. When cool, cut into bars.
Calories: 333 kcal
Carbohydrates: 39.3 g
Cholesterol: 58 mg
Fat: 18.3 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 3.8 g
Sodium: 122 mg