This dish is easy to prepare and freezes well. Baked eggplant is mixed with an array of vegetables and flavors. It’s a great way to make the most of the garden! Serve it cold with crackers or pita bread.
Original recipe makes 6 cups
1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sliced stuffed green olives
1 teaspoon salt
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium baking dish, mix the eggplant, onion, garlic, green bell pepper, mushrooms and olive oil.
- Cook covered 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove the eggplant mixture from the oven and stir in the water, sliced stuffed green olives, salt, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, sugar, basil, oregano and pepper.
- Continue baking 30 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator 8 hour or overnight before serving.
Calories: 23 kcal
Carbohydrates: 1.9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 1.7 g
Fiber: 0.6 g
Protein: 0.4 g
Sodium: 112 mg