This has a long cooking time, but is definitely worth the wait.
Original recipe makes 4 servings
6 large tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon dried oregano
sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 large eggplant
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup roasted almonds
3 hrs 20 mins
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Arrange tomatoes, cut-side up, on a baking sheet. Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; spoon over tomatoes.
- Bake tomatoes in the preheated oven until slightly shrunken, 3 to 4 hours.
- In the last hour of the tomatoes baking, thinly slice eggplant and sprinkle with salt; set aside until some of the water starts to bead on the slices, about 30 minutes. Rinse the salt off the eggplant and transfer to a bowl. Pour remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and sprinkle paprika over eggplant slices; toss with your hands to coat.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer in a skillet over medium heat; cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Alternate tomato slices and eggplant slices on serving plates creating ‘towers.’ Drizzle yogurt and honey over each ‘tower’; top with almonds.
Calories: 425 kcal
Carbohydrates: 31.1 g
Cholesterol: 2 mg
Fat: 33 g
Fiber: 8.8 g
Protein: 7.4 g
Sodium: 119 mg