Unusual but elegant appetizer. Eggplant, tomatoes, and mint with goat cheese sprinkled on top. Makes an excellent addition to Italian or Middle Eastern meal, plus will make your house smell wonderful while cooking.
Original recipe makes 12 servings
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 small eggplant, peeled and diced
1 small onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons dried mint
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 loaves French bread, cut diagonally into 1-inch slices
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 hr 15 mins
- Mix tomatoes, eggplant, onion, mint, basil, and garlic powder in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid has evaporated, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven’s broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Toast bread slices in the preheated oven until crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Let cool slightly.
- Spoon tomato mixture onto each toasted bread slice; sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Broil in the preheated oven until goat cheese is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
Calories: 270 kcal
Carbohydrates: 46.8 g
Cholesterol: 7 mg
Fat: 4.3 g
Fiber: 3.4 g
Protein: 11.7 g
Sodium: 591 mg