These are versatile chewy granola bars. You can add or omit as your allergies dictate. I enjoy raisins and sesame seeds, with less chocolate chips. These are not overly sweet. I buy roasted almonds with no salt and chop them in the food processor. My cashews are usually roasted and salted. It can be made with raw nuts. You could use almond or soy butter if allergic to peanuts.
Original recipe makes 36 small bars
1 cup corn syrup
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup gluten-free chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup chopped cashews
2 cups gluten-free oatmeal
2 cups crispy rice cereal
1/3 cup flax seed meal
- Mix syrup and peanut butter in a saucepan over low heat until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir about half the chocolate chips into the syrup mixture.
- Mix remaining chocolate chips, almonds, cashews, oatmeal, crispy rice cereal, and flax seed meal in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture from the saucepan over the mixture in the bowl; stir to evenly coat.
- Transfer mixture to a 9×13-inch baking dish and press into an even layer; allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
Calories: 127 kcal
Carbohydrates: 16.6 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 6.4 g
Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 3 g
Sodium: 55 mg