Orange cream cheese frosting–how can you miss?
Original recipe makes 30 rolls
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 – 115 degrees F; 40 – 45 degrees C)
3/4 cup warm orange juice (105 – 115 degrees F; 40 – 45 degrees C)
1/4 cup warm milk (105 – 115 degrees F; 40 – 45 degrees C)
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons orange zest
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 hrs 35 mins
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and warm orange juice in a bowl. Let stand until yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes.
- Beat warm milk, shortening, 1/4 cup white sugar, egg, and salt together in a separate bowl. Stir yeast mixture into milk mixture. Add enough flour to mixture to create a soft dough. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl and two 11x7x2-inch baking sheets.
- Place dough in the greased bowl and turn dough to coat all sides. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let rise in a warm place until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll each half on a lightly floured surface creating 2 15×10-inch rectangles.
- Mix 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup softened butter, and 2 tablespoons orange zest in a bowl until smooth; spread half the filling onto each dough rectangle. Roll each rectangle around the filling, jelly roll-style, starting with the long end creating a log. Cut each log into 15 rolls.
- Arrange rolls on the prepared baking sheets. Cover baking sheets with plastic wrap and let rolls rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove plastic wrap from baking sheets.
- Bake rolls in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Beat confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, 3 tablespoons softened butter, orange juice, and 2 teaspoons orange zest in a bowl until frosting is smooth. Spread frosting on the warm rolls.
Calories: 195 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29.8 g
Cholesterol: 23 mg
Fat: 7.6 g
Fiber: 0.5 g
Protein: 2.4 g
Sodium: 122 mg