A delicious and easy appetizer that’s made healthier with whole grain bread, reduced-fat cheese, and less oil.
Original recipe makes 12 servings
1 loaf whole grain artisan bread, cut into 3/4-inch slices
6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup ready-to-eat sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed and leaves chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven on broiler setting. Arrange the artisan bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Combine the roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
- Broil the bread until slightly brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the bread slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and broil until the cheese is melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Calories: 158 kcal
Carbohydrates: 19.6 g
Cholesterol: 6 mg
Fat: 5.5 g
Fiber: 3.5 g
Protein: 8 g
Sodium: 315 mg