Extremely fresh and crunchy, not your typical salsa! This is my husband’s special treat for NASCAR Race Days. Can be frozen for up to 3 months with some loss of texture.
Original recipe makes 10 servings
4 ears corn on the cob with husks
2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
6 Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (12 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 pinch kosher salt, or to taste
1 pinch ground black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Place ears onto the heated grill; roast corn until husks show burn marks on all sides and corn kernels are cooked through, about 20 minutes. Turn ears of corn often.
- Let corn ears cool until they can be handled; pull back husks and cut the roasted kernels from the ears. Place kernels into a large salad bowl.
- Lightly toss corn with black beans, plum tomatoes, green bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno peppers, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic. Pour tomato juice and tomato sauce over the salsa; toss again. Season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Chill salsa at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
Calories: 129 kcal
Carbohydrates: 26.1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 0.6 g
Fiber: 6.6 g
Protein: 7.2 g
Sodium: 363 mg