These cupcakes are moist and yummy with a rich cocoa flavor. Made with Truvia® Baking Blend, this cupcake has 40% fewer calories and 65% less sugar* than a full sugar and fat version**.
Original recipe makes 24 servings
3 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup canola oil
1 cup applesauce
1 1/8 cups Truvia® Baking Blend
1/8 cup red food coloring (see note)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
16 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1/3 cup Truvia® Baking Blend
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Combine oil, applesauce and Truvia® Baking Blend in a separate large mixing bowl. Blend in eggs. Carefully add red food coloring and vanilla while mixing at low speed.
- Combine the buttermilk and vinegar. Then add half of the flour mixture and half of the buttermilk mixture to the oil mixture at a time and mix just until combined.
- Fill paper lined or greased cups 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Frosting: Mix cream cheese and Truvia® Baking Blend at low speed for 1 minute. Add the vanilla and mix for another minute at low to medium speed or until creamy and smooth. Add 1 teaspoon of milk, if desired, for thinner spreading consistency.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes.