This Italian appetizer made of bread, fresh spinach, and some other goodies is great for serving at parties. A French baguette is a long, narrow loaf of French bread. I like to garnish the bruschetta with more basil.
Original recipe makes 8 appetizer servings
1 (8 ounce) loaf French baguette
1 1/2 cups spinach – packed, rinsed and torn
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups finely chopped almonds
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 clove garlic, minced
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Arrange the bread slices on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- In an electric blender or food processor combine the spinach, Parmesan, almonds, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until a paste forms. Pulse in 2 tablespoons olive oil; continue pulsing until the mixture is the consistency of soft butter.
- In a small mixing bowl combine chopped tomatoes, green onion and 1 tablespoon olive oil; stir.
- Bake the bread slices for 5 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- Arrange toast on a serving platter. Spread each piece of toast with a thin layer of the blended pesto, then top with the tomato mixture.
Calories: 529 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30.2 g
Cholesterol: 6 mg
Fat: 39.7 g
Fiber: 8.7 g
Protein: 19.7 g
Sodium: 286 mg