If you’re looking for comfort food, this is it. This is such a versatile recipe that you can add in whatever you like to suit your tastes. It is great for a quick snack or serve with tomato soup and a glass of milk and you have a delicious, filling meal.
Original recipe makes 10 servings
10 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
1 pinch cayenne pepper
10 slices provolone cheese
10 toothpicks, or as needed
1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Flatten bread slices on a work surface using a rolling pin.
- Mix cream cheese, chives, onion, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Spread a thick layer of cream cheese mixture on 1 side of each piece of bread. Place 1 slice provolone cheese over cream cheese layer. Roll bread around cheese filling and secure each roll with a toothpick.
- Brush each cheese roll with butter and place, seam-side down, on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes; flip rolls and continue baking until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove toothpicks and cut each roll in half.
Calories: 327 kcal
Carbohydrates: 14.1 g
Cholesterol: 69 mg
Fat: 25.4 g
Fiber: 0.7 g
Protein: 11 g
Sodium: 550 mg