My kids love the taquitos we get at the grocery store in the freezer aisle. They would happily eat them every day. However, the mean mommy that I am, am working on reducing the amount of processed food in our diet so I had to try homemade. After checking all the recipes for taquitos I could find, I decided to mix it up and create my own! So I took ideas from about 4 different recipes and went to town. My kids and husband have given their seal of approval. My very picky 3-year-old even had seconds! I serve them on a bed of lettuce with sour cream and do Mexican rice on the side.
Original recipe makes 9 servings
3/4 pound shredded cooked chicken
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (such as RO*TEL®), drained
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
18 (6 inch) corn tortillas
cooking spray (such as Pam®)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine chicken, beans, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, diced green chile peppers, cumin, chili powder, salt, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until filling is heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Add Mexican cheese blend to filling and stir until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Place corn tortillas on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a wet paper towel; heat in microwave until tortillas are warmed, about 30 seconds.
- Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons filling down the middle of each tortilla. Roll tortilla tightly around the filling and place, seam-side down, on a baking sheet. Spray the rolled tortillas with cooking spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned and crispy, about 30 minutes.
Calories: 293 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33.5 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Fat: 9.4 g
Fiber: 7.1 g
Protein: 19.9 g
Sodium: 745 mg