These light, crispy phyllo pastry roll-ups are filled with spinach, breadcrumbs, and feta cheese. Best served warm out of oven.
Original recipe makes 40 servings
1/2 cup olive oil
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
3 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
40 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed in refrigerator
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over a medium heat. Stir in green onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine spinach, dill, eggs, feta, salt and pepper. Add reserved green onions, and mix well.
- Unfold 1 sheet of the phyllo pastry, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs. Lay another sheet directly on top of the first sheet; repeat butter and breadcrumb steps. Continue to do this until you have 10 layers.
- Spoon 3/4 cup of spinach mixture (in a sausage-like shape) along longer edge of the top sheet. Roll it up, place on baking sheet, and brush lightly with butter. Score off 1-inch rounds by marking with a knife for easier cutting later. Repeat process with the remaining pastry sheets. You will have 4 rolls total when finished.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 12 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Cut into individual servings where you have marked. Serve immediately.
Calories: 152 kcal
Carbohydrates: 12.2 g
Cholesterol: 35 mg
Fat: 10.1 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 3.5 g
Sodium: 190 mg