I’ve always enjoyed hot spinach artichoke dip, but it always struck me as a little oily. I decided to try a mayo-less version, and then raised the stakes even higher by excluding the sour cream as well. To counter this, a bit more cheese was added, and the results were amazing. A rich, creamy, cheesy, not greasy dip.
Original recipe makes 6 servings
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup green onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach , thawed, drained and squeezed dry
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1 pinch ground nutmeg
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; stir in onions and pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir garlic into onions and remove from heat.
- Mix green onion mixture, spinach, artichoke hearts, cream cheese, Gruyere, Parmigiano-Reggiano, hot sauce, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until combined.
- Spoon artichoke mixture into two ramekins. Top each with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops are golden brown and bubbling, about 25 minutes.
Calories: 284 kcal
Carbohydrates: 8.8 g
Cholesterol: 71 mg
Fat: 22.9 g
Fiber: 3.1 g
Protein: 12.7 g
Sodium: 637 mg