These turnovers make great appetizers and they’re worth the extra effort because they taste so good! For do-ahead appetizers, they can be baked, frozen and reheated at 375degrees F (190 degrees C) for 5-7 minutes.
Original recipe makes 2 1/2 dozen
3 tablespoons chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
1 3/4 cups shredded, cooked chicken meat
3 tablespoons chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, diced
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 cup butter, chilled
5 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet saute the onion in the butter until tender. Stir in the chicken, chicken broth, garlic salt, poultry seasoning, pepper and cream cheese. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt and paprika; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms.
- On a floured surface roll out the pastry to 1/16 inch thick. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch round cookie or biscuit cutter. Reroll scraps and cut more circles until the pastry is used up.
- Mound a heaping teaspoon of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water and fold pastry over filling to make a half moon shape. Press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork for steam vents.
- Place turnovers on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Calories: 220 kcal
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Cholesterol: 57 mg
Fat: 17.4 g
Fiber: 0.4 g
Protein: 6.3 g
Sodium: 237 mg