These muffins get their name from the sliced strawberry on top that resembles a heart. Perfect for Valentine’s Day or when you have too many strawberries.
Original recipe makes 24 muffins
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
12 slices fresh strawberry
1 tablespoon white sugar
- Mix lemon juice with as much milk as needed to measure 1 cup; let the soured milk stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
- Cream together the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time; add the lemon extract.
- Gradually stir in the lemon zest and soured milk.
- Gently fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in another bowl.
- Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups to about 2/3 full.
- Place a strawberry slice atop each muffin and sprinkle with some of the 1 tablespoon white sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes before serving warm.
Calories: 181 kcal
Carbohydrates: 28.8 g
Cholesterol: 46 mg
Fat: 6.1 g
Fiber: 0.9 g
Protein: 3.3 g
Sodium: 139 mg