A Halloween treat to serve at any Halloween party! You can use guacamole instead of salsa if desired.
Original recipe makes 6 servings
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons salt
8 tea bags
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup salsa
2 hrs 45 mins
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain hot water and fill saucepan with cold water; allow eggs to sit until cooled, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain water. Gently tap or roll eggs on the counter so the shell is cracked but still intact.
- Return eggs to saucepan and pour in enough water to cover eggs; add soy sauce, molasses, salt, and tea bags. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until eggs have absorbed color, about 30 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and leave eggs in water to cool to room temperature.
- Peel eggs and trim bottom of each egg so it will stand upright. Cut each egg lengthwise and scoop yolks into a bowl. Mix mayonnaise, red bell pepper, salt, and pepper into egg yolks until evenly combined.
- Spoon yolk mixture back into egg whites; smooth filling to be level with egg white. Put each egg back together.
- Pour salsa onto a plate and assemble eggs upright into the salsa.
Calories: 197 kcal
Carbohydrates: 9.5 g
Cholesterol: 216 mg
Fat: 14.8 g
Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 7.8 g
Sodium: 1842 mg