Easy and impressive appetizer! Make the fig spread the night before to save yourself the prep time on the day of an event.
Original recipe makes 12 servings
1 cup finely chopped dried figs
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup minced white onion
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch garlic powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 (8 ounce) loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
olive oil cooking spray
1 (8 ounce) round Brie cheese, cut into bite-size pieces
1 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchstick-size pieces
1 tablespoon oregano
8 hrs 35 mins
- Combine figs, vinegar, brown sugar, onion, ginger, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cloves, and cinnamon in a saucepan; simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until fig spread is reduced, about 30 minutes. Transfer fig spread to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven’s broiler.
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet. Lightly spray both sides of each bread slice with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake bread slices under the broiler until toasted, about 2 minutes per side. Remove bread from oven and cool slightly, keeping broiler on.
- Blend fig spread in a blender or food processor until pureed. Spread about 1 teaspoon fig spread onto each toasted bread slice; top with Brie cheese and apple pieces. Sprinkle each crostini with oregano.
- Broil crostini in the preheated oven until Brie cheese is melted and browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
Calories: 188 kcal
Carbohydrates: 28.4 g
Cholesterol: 19 mg
Fat: 5.9 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 6.8 g
Sodium: 246 mg