Pre-slice and freeze these loaves. Then simply defrost, heat and rub butter over top for a ‘fresh out of the oven’ taste.
Original recipe makes 6 – 9×5 inch loaves
2 (0.6 ounce) cakes compressed fresh yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
4 cups hot water
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
15 cups bread flour
3 hrs 20 mins
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a very large bowl, combine hot water, white sugar, salt and shortening. Stir to dissolve shortening; let cool to lukewarm. Add the yeast mixture and 6 cups of flour; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes.
- Lightly oil two large bowls Divide the dough in half and place each half in a bowl; turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate dough, form into rounds and let rise again until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into six equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into six lightly greased 9×5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until loaves are golden brown and bottoms sound hollow when tapped.
Calories: 124 kcal
Carbohydrates: 22.9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 1.9 g
Fiber: 0.7 g
Protein: 3.5 g
Sodium: 98 mg