These super-simple breadsticks are easy, cheesy, and there’s no dough to make because we’re going to use frozen puff pastry for this. They’re very cool for entertaining.
Original recipe makes 9 breadsticks
1/2 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry
2 teaspoons olive oil (preferably drained from a tin of anchovies)
1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/4 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
5 tablespoons freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place a sheet of frozen puff pastry dough onto a floured work surface and allow dough to thaw just until it can be unfolded. Unfold dough into a flat sheet; brush top of puff pastry dough with olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle white Cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese onto the dough, covering the surface. Top with a piece of plastic wrap; press cheese and seasonings firmly into the dough with your fingers or by laying a sheet pan onto the dough over the plastic and pressing it down.
- Remove plastic and use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the dough down the seam lines into thirds; cut each third lengthwise into thirds for a total of 9 breadsticks.
- Pick up a dough strip, place it seasoned side down on the work surface, and twist from both ends 8 or 9 times to make a rolled tube of dough with the seasoned side out. Place breadsticks onto prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the sticks. Roll the sticks lightly to even up their shapes and pick up and press any dropped cheese onto the surfaces.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes; flip and continue baking until breadsticks are browned and crisp, 10 to 20 more minutes. If you pick up a stick by one end and it droops, bake for several more minutes. Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Calories: 184 kcal
Carbohydrates: 12.4 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Fat: 13.2 g
Fiber: 0.4 g
Protein: 3.8 g
Sodium: 134 mg