My children love salt and vinegar chips, and I had some potatoes to use, so I thought this would be a nice treat for them. I took my French fry recipe and converted it slightly, though the soaking in vinegar idea was my mom’s! I hope your family likes them as much as mine did! These are excellent for a cookout; make them a day ahead and surprise everybody!
Original recipe makes 6 servings
4 potatoes, thinly sliced
cold water to cover
3 cups white vinegar
1 cup cold water
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
salt to taste
2 hrs 15 mins
- Put potato slices in a large bowl. Pour enough cold water over the potatoes to cover completely. Soak potatoes, gently agitating every 10 minutes, for 30 minutes; drain.
- Spread potatoes slices onto paper towel; pat dry with more paper towels.
- Mix vinegar and 1 cup cold water in the large bowl; add potatoes. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, stir gently, and continue chilling at least 30 minutes more.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Working in batches, use a slotted spoon to remove potato slices from vinegar mixture and gently add to the hot oil. Fry potatoes until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes per batch. Remove chips to a bowl lined with paper towel to drain.
- Use the paper towel to lift chips from the bowl and put them into a separate bowl; season with salt. Spread the salted chips onto paper towel to further dry and cool completely.
Calories: 177 kcal
Carbohydrates: 24.8 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 7.5 g
Fiber: 3.1 g
Protein: 2.9 g
Sodium: 75 mg