Here’s an easy, lower-fat version of warm artichoke-cheese dip. In new research, artichoke hearts tested surprisingly high in antioxidant activity — even more per cup than strawberries. Garlic and chives are high in antioxidants, too, and fat-free cottage cheese helps keep the fat and calorie counts down.
Original recipe makes 4 – 1/2 cups
2 (8 ounce) packages frozen artichoke hearts
1 1/2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
4 ounces herbed goat cheese (chevre)
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup fat-free half-and-half
1 cup chopped chives
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook artichokes according to package directions; chop roughly. Set aside.
- In a food processor, mix all ingredients except artichokes and Parmesan cheese until smooth.
- Stir in artichokes. Pour mixture into a 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. If top hasn’t browned, put under broiler.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before serving (it may be watery when first removed from the oven). Serve with toasted whole-wheat pita chips.
Calories: 146 kcal
Carbohydrates: 9.5 g
Cholesterol: 17 mg
Fat: 7.7 g
Fiber: 2.1 g
Protein: 10.2 g
Sodium: 427 mg