Escargot served with a creamy garlic sauce in a phyllo dough shell. Helix snails can be found at specialty and gourmet grocery stores.
Original recipe makes 4 servings
4 sheets phyllo dough
4 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted
32 helix snails, without shells
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 quart heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly spray a cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the phyllo dough on a flat surface and brush each sheet with the melted butter. Layer the sheets on top of one another and cut the pile into fours. Push each piece of dough into a cupcake pan, forming cups with the dough.
- Bake the phyllo cups for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden.
- Drain the snails and rinse them with running water until the liquid runs clear. In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolks and heavy cream.
- Heat a saute pan, add 4 tablespoons of butter, the garlic and then the snails. Saute for a couple of minutes and then add half of the heavy cream mixture. Bring to a boil and season with the salt and pepper. The sauce will thicken while cooling.
- Remove the phyllo cups from the muffin tins. Place a phyllo cup on a plate or bowl and put 8 escargot in the cup and flowing out of the cup. Pour the sauce in the cup over the escargot.
Calories: 1108 kcal
Carbohydrates: 24.8 g
Cholesterol: 601 mg
Fat: 100.9 g
Fiber: 0.4 g
Protein: 28.3 g
Sodium: 380 mg