This bread was created from leftover dough after making a foccacia dressed with Kalamata olives, garlic, and olive oil.
Original recipe makes 1 loaf
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon non-iodized salt
3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup seedless Kalamata olives, chopped
1 tablespoon cornmeal
- In a medium bowl dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. To proof yeast, stir in yeast and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 105 degree F (40 degrees C). Warm an oven-safe bowl in the oven.
- Place flour in bowl of food processor. Add salt and pulse for a few seconds.
- Start food processor. Pour proofed yeast into flour through hole. Immediately add the additional 3/4 cup warm water, then the olive oil. Process for about 1 minute or until dough ball cleans the sides of the processor bowl. If dough is too wet add a little flour through the top while processing, or if too dry, add a little more water.
- Turn off food processor. Remove lid and transfer dough to the heated bowl. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap.
- Let rise for 1/2 hour in a warm place.
- In a small bowl, combine minced garlic and chopped olives. Set aside.
- Once dough has risen transfer dough to a lightly floured board. Make an indentation in the dough and place olive mixture inside. Knead dough 10 times. Bulk of mixture should remain in middle of dough. Form dough into a log or round loaf shape.
- Sprinkle cornmeal onto greased baking sheet and place loaf on top. Turn oven to 150 degrees F (65 degrees C) for 2 minutes and then turn off.
- Let dough rise in warm oven for 1/2 hour, or until light and puffy. Remove loaf and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake bread at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Calories: 200 kcal
Carbohydrates: 34.6 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 4.5 g
Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 4.9 g
Sodium: 643 mg